Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Reason #2

The really cute gum commercial


    So there's this really, really cute Extra gum commercial that my sister showed me yesterday and it made my day.  It was what I consider to be a successful commercial because today, whilst I was buying gum, I chose Extra.  Extra winter mint actually.   Unconsciously...

     So anyways this commercial uplifted a somewhat drab Tuesday  because it shows the most innocent and loving relationship that starts where a girl gives a guy a simple stick of Extra -gum. Throughout the commercial a female cover of "Can't help falling in love" plays peacefully in the background.  At every major milestone in their relationships such as first kiss, prom, first fight and first time apart ,  the girl affectionately gives the guy a stick of gum.  At the end of the commercial, when she returns home from time abroad she discovers that in their house he has framed every foil gum wrapper since they met. Each one has a depiction of the intimate encounter that it came from.  The final one however, is a surprise to her.  Thoughtfully drawn in the final gum wrapper is the man down on one knee proposing to his girlfriend.  She then, like something out of the notebook, turns around to discover him proposing.  And they both lived happily ever after, chewing extra gum.

     The reason why this commercial makes me happy is 1. my affinity for Elvis Presley's music and 2. an unobtainable adorable relationship goal.  I mean, this long term relationship started from a high school gum swapping incident.  It can really make you wonder, the power that a simple piece of gum can do to change the outcome of your entire life.  I will make sure to give out my gum thoughtfully from now on too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment