Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Reason #12-  Carlos

Okay, so there is this little boy I met once named Carlos and he is my spirit animal.  Carlos is from Haiti and his family moved to the middle of nowhere, hick town in Quebec for some unknown reason last summer.  Carlos came not knowing a drop of French or English and despite our best efforts Carlos just refused to learn.

He was a child in the summer camp I worked at and was 11 years old. That kid did what ever he wanted.  He climbed on everything, took what he wanted, stole the other kids food and danced around all day.  Clothes were optional to Carlos as well.  With the language barrier, Carlos didn't have to listen to anybody, and pretended he didn't know hand signals at all.  He was completely free. 

Sometimes, the other kids would say mean things about Carlos, but he was completely immune to them with his inability to understand French.  He didn't conform, he did whatever he pleased.  And there was absolutely no body to stop him.

I'm sure by now, Carlos is learning French and living in a more "Appropriate" way. But Carlos made me happy by showing me how "animal" we really are without words and communication and how content he was just doing his own thing.  I wonder about him sometime and wonder if by next summer he is still throwing dirt at the other leaders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment